Three members of the UK Iodine Group are involved in EUthyroid, an EU-funded research project to evaluate current national efforts aimed at preventing iodine deficiency disorders across Europe.
The project involves 30 European countries and is co-ordinated Professor Henry Völzke, University Medicine Greifswald, Germany. One of the goals of the project is to harmonise and improve iodine intake in Europe.The project will also:
- Collect standardised data on the iodine intake of the population of each country
- Compare national measures and dietary habits
- Harmonise and standardise data collection
- Analyse the cost-benefit ratio of existing iodine-deficiency prevention programmes
- Develop appropriate measures towards an improved and unified iodine intake
- Analysis of three mother-child studies from regions with different iodine intake