Dr Peter Taylor
Dr Peter Taylor (BSc, MBChB, MSc, MRCP) is a Clinical Senior Lecturer specialising in endocrinology and epidemiology at the University Hospital of Wales and Cardiff University. He received his undergraduate and medical degrees from the St. Andrews University and the University of Manchester. He undertook his core medical training at the two teaching hospitals in Edinburgh, before commencing specialist training in diabetes and endocrinology in Bristol, Bath and Cardiff. During his clinical training he received a prestigious MRC scholarship to undertake a masters’ degree in epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
He undertook his PhD in thyroid epidemiology under Professor Colin Dayan and Professor Nicholas Timpson. His research has focused on the effects of common variation in thyroid status as well as thyroid hormone prescribing. In this work, he has also published the first whole genome sequence study to identify rarer variants associated with thyroid function and published the first Mendelian Randomization in thyroidology to better clarify the relationship between thyroid hormone and body composition. He has also studied the impact of endocrine disruptors in pregnancy on offspring IQ and has examined the potential benefits of correcting mild – moderate iodine deficiency.
He has received awards at both national and international conferences for his work and has published in leading medical and endocrine journals including Nature Reviews Endocrinology, Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology, JAMA, JAMA Internal Medicine, Nature Communications, Thyroid and the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.
Iodine/thyroid journal publications
- The Association of Maternal Thyroid Autoimmunity During Pregnancy with Child IQ The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism
- Preconception management of thyroid dysfunction Clinical Endocrinology
- An Online Survey of Hypothyroid Patients Demonstrates Prominent Dissatisfaction” Thyroid
- The growing risk of vitamin D toxicity; a comprehensive review British Journal of Pharmacology
- Global epidemiology of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism Nature Reviews Endocrinology
- Controlled Antenatal Thyroid Screening II: effect of treating maternal sub-optimal thyroid function on child cognition. J Clin Endocrinol Metab
- Combined immunosuppression & radiotherapy in thyroid eye disease (CIRTED): a multi-centre, factorial randomised controlled trial Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Seasonal variation of Vitamin D and serum thyrotropin and its relationship in a euthyroid Caucasian population Endocrine Practice
- Debate: Identifying and Treating Subclinical Thyroid Dysfunction in Pregnancy: Emerging controversies EJE
- Levothyroxine in Obstetrics Ann Med. 2017 Oct 3:1-29
- Cerebral salt wasting following traumatic brain injury EDM case reports
- Iodine in Malt Whisky: A Preliminary Analysis Thyroid
- Maturation in serum thyroid function parameters over childhood and puberty: results of a longitudinal study J Clin Endocrinol Metab
- Paradoxical relationship between body mass index and thyroid hormone levels; a study using Mendelian Randomization J Clin Endocrinol Metab
- Iodine supplementation in pregnancy – is it time ? Clinical Endocrinology
- Hypothyroxinemia and Brain Development Acta Endocrinologica
- Thyroxine replacement: a clinical endocrinologist’s viewpoint Ann Clin Biochem
- Assessing potential for a predictive model for malignancy in patients with thyroid nodules Thyroid Research
- Weekly intramuscular injection of levothyroxine following Myxoedema: A practical solution to an old crisis Case Reports in Endocrinology.
- Susceptibility to exertional heat illness and hospitalisation risk in United Kingdom military personnel BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine
- Genetic abnormalities in thyroid hormone deiodinases Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes.
- Should all women be screened for thyroid dysfunction in pregnancy? Women’s Health
- Whole genome sequence based analysis of thyroid function Nature Communications
- The second wave of the Controlled Antenatal Thyroid Screening (CATS II) study: the cognitive assessment protocol BMC Endocrine Disorders 2014, 14:95
- Maternal perchlorate levels in women with borderline thyroid function during pregnancy and the cognitive development of their offspring; Data from the Controlled Antenatal Thyroid Study J Clin Endocrinol Metab.
- TSH levels and risk of miscarriage in women on long-term levothyroxine: a community based study J Clin Endocrinol Metab.
- Falling threshold for treatment of borderline elevated TSH levels – balancing benefits and risks: evidence from a large community based study JAMA Intern Med.
- Impact of iodine supplementation in mild-to-moderate iodine deficiency: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Endocrinol.
- Prostaglandin F2α (PGF2α) Effects on Adipocyte Biology Relevant to Graves’ Orbitopathy Thyroid.
- A review of the clinical consequences of variation in thyroid function within the reference range. J Clin Endocrinol Metab.
- Side effects of anti-thyroid drugs and their impact on the choice of treatment for thyrotoxicosis in pregnancy. European Thyroid Journal
- Amiodarone induced thyrotoxicosis, an overview of UK management. Clinical Endocrinology
- A meta-analysis of the effects of common genetic variation in PDE8B on thyroid hormone parameters including assessment of longitudinal stability of associations over time and effects of thyroid hormone replacement. European Journal of Endocrinology
- Thyroid-stimulating hormone-receptor antibody and thyroid hormone concentrations in smokers vs. nonsmokers with Graves disease treated with carbimazole. JAMA.